49 LIFE LESSONS I’VE LEARNED
May 16, 2020
Today is my birthday!
I love my birthday. I’m like a little kid about the whole thing. Presents, cards, cake, balloons, parties – all of it gets me super excited.
But this birthday has been a bit different. I usually spend most of my free time before the big day planning my celebration and wondering what I’m getting from the hubby. That has not been the case this year. I’ve been much more reflective, and my thoughts have been a whole lot deeper.
As I thought about my life, I realized three things…
I have been through a lot.
I have accomplished a lot.
I have learned a lot.
Learned a lot. That one is a very big deal to me. Learning is in the core of my being, and life is an excellent teacher. Its lessons are not always easy, and I’ve definitely learned some the hard way. But in the end, I’m extremely grateful for the wisdom I’ve accumulated over my many years. It’s the kind of stuff I wish I could have shared with my younger self. Since that is not possible, I will pass on what I’ve learned to my sons and their future kids.
And if you’re interested, I’d like to share it with you too. So, here’s a list of 49 life lessons that I’ve learned. Are any of these on your list? What else have you learned? Please share in the comments.
49 LIFE LESSONS LEARNED
- It’s ok if you don’t know everything.
- It’s good to be silly sometimes.
- Time is very precious so don’t waste it.
- Loving yourself is important but not always easy to do.
- Don’t complain about hot weather.
- Watching the news is not a good thing.
- It is necessary to make peace with your past.
- What others think of you is none of your business.
- Only you are in charge of your own happiness.
- Success is not permanent, neither is failure.
- You can tell a lot about someone by the look in their eyes.
- Time really does heal all wounds.
- Don’t compare yourself to others.
- Always have a backup plan.
- It is important to invest in yourself.
- Debt-free is the way to be.
- You should always be working towards a goal.
- Don’t be afraid to share your dreams with the right people.
- Think and listen, before you speak
- Sometimes it’s not about the number but about the quality.
- It’s ok to say “no” and not feel guilty.
- Do it scared rather than not at all.
- Be mature but stay young at heart.
- Never give up.
- Accept challenges wholeheartedly.
- Be careful of what you wish for, you just might get it.
- There will always be someone who wish they had what you have.
- Sometimes life takes courage.
- Travelling is the way to learn about the world.
- Be known for working hard.
- A good reputation is a valuable asset.
- Knowledge is power.
- When life knocks you down, get back up!
- Rejection does not mean you’re worthless.
- Use your talents or you will lose them.
- Be your own best cheerleader.
- Speak up and ask for what you want.
- Not everyone will like you, and that’s ok.
- Surround yourself with things that you love.
- You can plan for success.
- You cannot force anyone to love you.
- Stay away from negative people.
- It’s better to have a few close friends than a lot of acquaintances.
- Sometimes you won’t appreciate something until it’s gone.
- Setbacks aren’t failures unless you give up.
- Gratitude for your blessings is the key to happiness.
- Don’t sweat the small stuff.
- Be your own best friend.
- No one will ever love you as much as God (and your mama).
By Brook Mayborne